Today I finally got a chance to get outside and install the hard cases on my Suzuki SV650S. The cases are Hepcko & Becker Junior cases (30L) and are mounted to SW-MOTECH quick release mounts. At first, there was some concern that the mounts, and cases would not fit with my M4 full exhaust, but when all was said and done, it all fits just fine.
Here’s what my pre-install layout looked like, note that most folks won’t need a drill – unless they’ve got a shock reservoir that needs relocating:
I removed what I figured would be the easiest part of the installation first, so off came the factory grab bar, and in went the SW-MOTECH replacement. The rear grab bar is replaced wish a bottom plate that has the two upper mounting tabs for the quick release system. My only complaint here is that a spacer that is supposed to go underneath my helmet lock on either side of the bike is at least .020″ oversize. Another minor complaint is that apparently, to German engineers “locking nut” means “not threaded properly.” When I get around to it, half of these fasteners will be replaced with those having proper threading.
Rear grab bar replaced:
Greetings, oversized spacers:
From there, I tackled the rear bracket, which mounts in the factory fender – you’ll need that if you intend to use these mounts. I know most people lob the shovel of a rear fender off as soon as they can, but I never got around to it. My biggest problem with the rear mount is that there was no consideration given to the rubber grommets that are part of the factory mounting system for the rear turn signals, which must be relocated for the bags to fit. That lack of consideration leaves entirely too much free play in the relocated signals, and will have to be fixed by some rubber shims later. It would have been nice if they’d just sized the wings of the bracket to properly fit the grommets the bike came with, but I suppose you can’t think of everything all of the time.
Rear bracket work:
From the back:
The mounting tab that goes under the footpegs was actually the easiest part to install, and took all of two minutes. My complication will be the relocation of my shock reservoir, as it used to mount in the same place. The solution I’ve come up with, involves a drill.
Side case bracket all mounted up:
The other side, clearing the exhaust quite nicely:
Closer view of the exhaust to bracket clearance:
Finally, behold the Suzuki SV650ST
Click here for a few more photos.