Last night, when my brain would not work any more statics problems, I decided to go ahead and build a camera. A quick sketch, a trip to Wal-Mart, and some foamcore cutting got me where I needed to be. I ended up overshooting a few things, namely my focal length, but everything else works nicely. The exposure area isn’t quite 6x6cm, it’s more like 6×5.5cm but I’m fine with that.
My test roll was just for fun, and proved that if the camera is steady it takes reasonably sharp photos for something made in a single evening for about $7. I turned the take-up spool far too much between shots and only got about 5 frames to the test roll of Ilford HP5+. It seems one full turn (plus maybe a hair after the first three shots or so) is enough to advance the full width of my shooting area. There aren’t any light leaks from the back, or across the edges of my exposure area. Pointing it generally towards the sun does result in some nifty light scattering though.
The beginning of the pinhole camera
The front, with the Pepsi pinhole
Back, w/o film
Back, with film.
One of my test shots
Another test shot